The Poem in popular culture
Full reading by Christopher Walken
Study guide questions for The Raven
- Do you think this poem is supposed to be funny? Do you find the speaker’s tale intense and dramatic, or ridiculous and over-the-top?
- Do you talk to animals? Do you ever imagine them saying something back? Why do you think humans speak to animals?
- On that note, do you think the speaker of this poem has really lost his mind, or does he just seem very, very sad to you? What makes you think that?
- Do you trust the speaker? Do you think he gives us an accurate version of reality, or is it possible that he is making up or distorting some of these things? Any clues in the poem that points you in any direction, on this?
- Have you ever known someone (or been someone) whose love turned into obsession? Does this poem make you think about that experience? What do you think about obsessive love?