Subject verb agreement
Collectives and agreement
Essay transitions and linking words
Quick and dirty grammar tips for better writing
- Check all instances of I. They should be with capital I and nothing else.
- Check all national words. They should have capital letters: English, Englishman.
- Check all instances of a and an. A before consonant sound, an before vowel sound. (A European agreement, an honest proposal).
- Check all verbs in the text.
- Present tense: He/she/it speaks
- Agreement: John jumps, Ted and Bill jump; John was late. Bill and Ted werelate; John has diabetes. Wolves and dogs have fur; Samuel is sick. John andBill are funny.
- Check all Where and were. Where is used for placement: Where is the car? The city where I grew up. Were is used as a verb. We were late for class.
- Genitive. When somebody owns something an apostrophe and an s is added to indicate ownership, as in: This is Daniel’s car.